February 6, 2013
A new gift has been added for people that donate $25
or more to help feed the animals. We are offering a 2013 Snowman
Cam calendar filled with our favorite pictures taken at the cam.
We have only printed 35 of them, so if you want one be sure to
act fast. They are sure to become a collector's item for the Snowman
Cam fan. See calendar pics here
January 6, 2013
Nora Combs (have3cats) from Chicago, has donated 25 knit
caps which will be given away to the first 25 people that donate
$25 or more. See
the caps here
November 17, 2012
Sale on Snowman
Cam jackets. Only 3 left! 1XL and 2 Mediums. Were $75, now $59.
Price includes shipping. Go to the Snowman
Cam Store to order. Many other items are also reduced!
February 18, 2011
Meadows' Legislation Will Clarify Michigan's Deer Baiting
Legislation will protect residents who inadvertently feed deer,
LANSING – State Representative Mark Meadows (D-East Lansing)
has introduced legislation to clarify Michigan’s ban on
deer baiting by protecting individuals who unintentionally feed
free-ranging white-tailed deer and elk from prosecution. Under
current Michigan law, residents are prohibited from providing
food for deer and elk to prevent wildlife from congregating and
potentially spreading disease.
“The issue with current law is that it leaves too much
room for interpretation when distinguishing between intentional
and unintentional feeding,” said Meadows, who introduced
a similar bill during the 2009-2010 legislative session. “We
have so many outdoor enthusiasts here in Michigan who enjoy observing
a variety of wildlife, or feeding and watching birds, and they
shouldn’t be ticketed or charged with a misdemeanor if a
deer grabs a quick snack from their birdfeeder. My plan will clarify
our laws so they can continue to protect our deer population and
make sure only those who intentionally break them are punished.”
Meadows’ plan will exclude residents who engage in “incidental
feeding” from prosecution. Under the legislation, incidental
feeding is defined as meaning that the primary purpose of the
feeding is not to provide food to wild, free-ranging white-tailed
deer and elk.
The issue originally came to Meadows’ attention last year
when Ken Borton, an Otsego County man, was ticketed for violating
the state’s baiting ban after visitors to his web cam saw
deer eating from his bird feeders. Meadows’ plan has won
the support of State Representative Greg MacMaster (R-Kewadin),
who has championed relaxation of regulations that unfairly penalize
people such as Borton.
“This is one step toward the reform that I have been working
for since January,” MacMaster said. “We need to ease
frivolous regulations such as this one that punish people for
incidentally feeding deer.”
Michigan restricted deer baiting and feeding in 2008 after a
deer in Kent County was found to have contracted Chronic Wasting
Disease (CWD). No additional cases have been discovered. Because
multiple animals congregate around feeders, it was determined
that there was a dramatically increased risk for disease transmission
if feeding and baiting continued. CWD is a neurological disease
that is fatal to deer and elk.
2011 - Just
wanted to let everyone know that Michigan HB 4250, to clarifiy
the prohibition on deer and elk feeding, was introduced this week.
You can follow the progress at: HB-4250.
Thank you to Rep. Mark Meadows and Rep. Greg MacMaster for their
work on sponsoring this bill.
2011 - Deadline
for next special order shipment is March 15th, 2011.
Delivered in April. Go to Snowman Cam Store.
2010 - Talk to Santa! Santa is coming
to the Snowman Cam starting Friday, December 17th, from 7-9 pm
Eastern time. To talk with Santa simply click on the Volxi
Voice Chat link and enter your Snowman Cam screen name. Santa
will be available each night until December 23rd. If you have
any questions about how to use the voice chat, ask any of Santa's
helpers in the regular Snowman Cam chat room.
2010 - We are testing a new camera set
up. The image on the right will be in full motion
and is also equipped with sound. We will be trying several different
camera angles and making other adjustments throughout the next
few weeks. Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
29, 2010 - Otsego County Prosecutor has dropped all charges
against me as well!
- The Attorney
General from the State of Michigan has decided NOT
TO PURSUE charges against me in the DNR bird feeding
case. The circuit court judge did not rule on the constitutionality
of the law. The case now goes back to district court. The local
prosecutor will have to decide whether or not to pursue the case.
If he decides to go forward, we will have a jury trial in district
court. In the meantime, I will continue to work with the legislators
in Lansing to get the law changed.
- See video of my testimony in Lansing in support of House Bill
6234 which will stop the DNR from prosecuting people for feeding
birds and other wildlife. Be sure to watch all seven parts. watch
- PLEASE HELP. Have your
name listed on a sign in front of the snowman during
our picnic on July 3rd, 4th and 5th, this year. Make a donation
of $20 or more (to help pay my legal expenses) to get your name
listed. donate here Your support
is very much appreciated. Thank You!
- Snowman Cam Picnic scheduled for July 3rd.
- Michigan State lawmaker's plan to change the deer baiting
- We now have a new voice chat service Volxi.
to log on.
- Yack Pack is back! Our voice chat is back and
working. Not sure for how long. I have no control over it. Enjoy
it while you can!
- You now have more ways to keep in touch with you friends and
family at the Snowman Cam. Join
our Facebook Page. Join
our Facebook Fan Group.
- Thank you to Ron and Sandy Beegle from Muskegon
Michigan for making the Snowman Cam blankets that we sell in the
store. Ron and Sandy not only made the blankets, but donated ten
of them as well as money to help feed the wild life. The next
time you see Quiltlady in the chat room be sure to tell her thanks
for all she does for the Snowman Cam website. Also a special thank
you to Nancy Hamby (nannersiam) from Shawano
Wisconsin for helping to digitize the logo and for her donation
of blankets to raise money for the wildlife.
- Must find new homes for two of our cats. One pure white, one
pure black. Both spayed and declawed. Very loving. Strictly indoors.
Good homes only. email Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The bobcat was back. We were able to get a
view from the front this time. see
- A bobcat stopped by for a visit with the snowman
on 9-17-09. Mark Oh was in the chatroom at the time and captured
a picture. see the bobcat picture
- The 24 hour video archives are working again.
You can watch it here: 24
Hour Video Archives
- You can now follow the Snowman on Twitter.
Cam Twitter Page
- Buckmasters Donate Bird Feeders. As everyone knows,
the bears have taken a toll on our bird feeders. Either tearing
them apart or taking them deep into the woods. Thanks to generosity
of Buck and Janet Buckmaster from Springfield Ohio, our bird feeder
supply has been restored. They donated twelve new platinum No/No
wire mesh feeders. These feeders are practically bear proof and
should get us through the rest of the year. Thanks Buck and Janet!
Your contribution will help keep our birds, squirrels and little
critters fed for quite some time.
- Peacheyroo Baby Contest Winners. Congratulations
to Tammy Curtis (MichiganMom) of Adrian Michigan, winner of the
contest to guess the date Kim Peachey would have her baby. Tammy's
guess of May 28th was the closest to the actual day of May 31st.
Second place went to Tony and Linda Gimble (leaderdogfamily) from
Moline Illinois, with a guess of May 26th. Your prize packages
are in the mail! Kim Peachey of Australia delivered a beautiful,
healthy, baby girl.
- See Ken launch a weather balloon at the National
Weather Service Office in Gaylord Michigan. watch
- A Mother's Day gift for the Snowman Cam. At
approximately 1am, on Mother's Day, a mother bear
and her three cubs made an appearance on the cam. This is the
same family from last year. They all looked very healthy. It was
great to see them again. I will be posting pictures of them soon.
Happy Mother's Day!
- Come join us and other Snowman Cam fans at this years
Fourth of July picnic here in Gaylord. All the details have been
posted on the message board. see
- The bears have returned from hibernation. The
bears started appearing on the Snowman Cam starting April 14th,
much earlier than normal. At least one or two bears have been
seen almost every night since then. see
pictures of the bears
- Peacheyroo Baby Contest. As many of you know,
Kim Peachey (Peacheyroo) is going to have a baby sometime in Mayl.
Kim, being the fun-loving Aussie that she is, has decided it would
be fun to have a contest to guess the day her baby will be born.
Kim has supplied some very nice prizes for the winner and the
runner up. All guesses must be made on the message board. You
have to be signed in, in order to guess. If you're not a member
of the message board, it's free and easy to sign up. go
to message board
- Another member of the Snowman Cam family has been seriously
injured in a snowmobile accident. Rod
Kassa (see pictures 12-21-08) http://www.snowmancam.com/pictures_2008.htm
was riding on the snowmobile trail along Mancelona road, a few
miles from the cam, when he was struck by a car. He suffered a
severely broken arm and leg and also sustained internal injuries.He
will be at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, Michigan for
about a week. He is staying in room 4401. He would love to hear
from any Snowman Cam fans.You
can either send him a card directly or just respond to this post
and I will make sure he sees it.Please
pray for Rob's speedy recovery.
- Snowman Cam has been mentioned in an article in American
Profile Magazine. see
- Many of you missed out on getting a snowman when they were offered
last year. You've seen the pictures of how much fun people are
having with their official Snowman Cam replicas
all over the world. Now's your chance to join in on the fun. Because
of the demand, Richard has decided to build more. They are similar
to the ones that sold out last year, only smaller. The quantity
is very limited. To find out how to get one click
- All Special Orders must be placed by January
31, 2009. Now is the time to get your official Snowman Cam clothing
and merchandise and help animals in the process.
- Voice chat now available in Snow
Chat 1 and Snow Chat 2. Server
full in the main voice chat room? Want to talk with your friends
in another room? Try the new voice chat in Snow
Chat 1 and Snow Chat 2. It works
the same as the voice chat in the main Yack Pack room. Have fun!
- Snowman Cam ornaments make the perfect addition
to any Christmas tree and a great way to support the site at the
same time. All ornaments ordered between now and December 21st
will be shipped priority mail to insure delivery before Christmas.
Ornaments can be ordered through the Snowman
- Attention Parents! Santa Claus is coming to the Snowman
Cam. Almost every night, from now until Christmas Eve,
Santa will be available to voice chat with your children. Santa
will be available from 7pm until 10pm Eastern Standard Time. If
you would prefer a personalized voice chat with Santa, please
and include the first names of your children along with the day
and time you would like to chat. Or you can just join in any evening.
A microphone and speakers are necessary in order to talk with
Voice Chat Here
- Because of increased demand for Snowman Cam clothing, we are
doing another special order before Christmas. The new deadline
for special orders is December 8th. All items will be shipped
in time for Christmas. For those of you that missed our pervious
deadline, now it your chance to order a gift for the Snowman Cam
fan on your list. The next deadline will be January 31, 2009.
- RJG is at it again...this time he has designed and handcrafted
a Snowman Cam Ornament. These ornaments are truly
one of a kind. Richard's ornaments can be seen and purchased in
the Snowman Cam Store.
- All special order shipments went in the mail
today. Everyone should receive their order by the middle of next
week. A big thank you to RJG for all the work he did handling
all the special orders. Richard is truly one of a kind. Thank
you to everyone that purchased items to help animals in northern
Profile magazine contacted me today and would like to
do an interview about the site. You are probably familiar with
the magazine. It's distributed weekly through local papers across
the country. Anyway....in addition to the article, they are looking
for a snowman building family to interview while they are building
a snowman. They are willing to fly anywhere in the country to
do the interview. They asked if I could help them in finding a
family willing to do this. If you are interested, please contact
me and I will put you in touch with the right person. You can
contact me at email@example.com
- Snowman Cam model travels to a new home in the UK. see
the arrival and continuing adventure
- Congratulations to Beckyc from Gaylord Michigan,
this years winner of the "Predict the First Snowfall Contest".
It started lightly snowing on the 28th and continued until 5 am
on the 29th. At 5 am the ground at the Snowman Cam was completely
covered with about two inches of snow. Becky may want to consider
changing professions and go to work for the National Weather Service.
:) Thank you to everyone who entered this years contest!
- Snowman Cam greeting cards are now available
at the Snowman Cam Store. These are very high quality greeting
cards and are appropriate for all occasions.go
- Make your First Snowfall predictions here: Snowfall
Prediction Page You
need to be a registered member of the message board in order to
make a prediction.
- Reminder: Special
order deadline is October 31st. The
order will be submitted November 1st and all items will be delivered
before the end of November. Now is the time to get the perfect
Christmas gift for the Snowman Cam lover in your family. We only
place special orders every 90 days, so the next special order
is January 31, 2009. Discounts are available for multiple items
shipped together. Email me for details. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two new chat rooms added. Feel free to give
them a try. Snow Chat 1 Snow
- Local craftsman donates snowman to help our website. get
your very own snowman
- The Snowman Cam is now broadcasting the live image in a much
- New bear, fawn and turkey videos added to the
video section. watch
fawn bear and turkey videos
- The first case of Chronic Wasting Disease in
Michigan has been detected. read
- Snowman has a new MySpace page. Woody is looking
for friends. Visit
Woody's MySpace Page
- Woody tosses his hat in the ring and runs for President.
- The Snowman Cam chat room celebrates it's first anniversary
today. It's hard to believe a year has gone by already. Thank
you to everyone that has contributed to the success of the site.
A special thank you to Chef Joe, Snowzy and Doorsfan for donating
countless hours as administrators for the chat room. Thanks to
all their help, the chatroom has been a nice family friendly place
- Congratulations to Gina Shaw from Welcome North
Carolina, this year's winner of the Fawn Spotting
Contest. Special thanks to Phillipsc4 for submitting
the picture for Gina. Gina will receive a Snowman Cam t-shirt,
which was donated by P.W. from California. Phillipsc4
will receive a Snowman Cam patch for her efforts.
Congratulations and thank you to everyone who participated in
this season's contest. see picture
- No winner yet in the fawn spotting contest.
There have been several, very cute, fawns in the woods near the
Snowman Cam. So far none have been spotted on cam. Have you seen
fawn spotting contest
- All special orders for Snowman Cam merchandise must be placed
by Tuesday July 22nd. We are only doing special orders every 90
days so please place your orders now. Also, we have a lot of pins
in stock. The picture on the site does not do them justice. They
are beautiful pieces of jewelry and make great gifts. Please support
the Snowman Cam and help feed all the animals. Thanks!
- The first buck of the year (in velvet) was
spotted on the Snowman Cam. see
- A lot of bear activity lately. see
- A mother black bear and her cub
came to the Snowman Cam. see pictures
- The bear was back. Nice close up of him with the hummingbird
- New videos of black bear at the snowman added. see
latest black bear videos
- The black bear was back and gets close to the
camera. black bear close up pictures
- The small black bear was back between 3am and
5am. black bear pictures
- Another smaller black bear came and made off
with four bird feeders. bear pictures
- Chat room members send another package to Spain.
see story and pictures
- Another black bear stopped by over night for
a visit with the Snowman. see pictures
- You are invited to attend this years Snowman Cam Party/Picnic.
- Will you be the first to spot a fawn on the
Snowman Cam this season? fawn
- First bear of the season has been spotted.
Congrats Jeff Wilber from California. see
- Snowman Cam makes EarthCam's Editor's Choice list. Go to EarthCam
- Will you be the first, this year, to spot a bear
on the Snowman Cam? bear
- Grayling wildfire burns over 1300 acres. Has
now been contained. see
- Update on Dale and Emily's progress after snowmobile
- Snowman Cam on EarthCam's Most Popular list.
(then click on "Most Popular" tab)
- Snowman Cam featured live on FOX 5 in Parkersburg
W. Virginia and Marietta Ohio. see
- Yack Pack is Back! Now you can voice chat with
other chatters. go to voice chat
- The deer are finally back! Check out the latest
- Snow Melt Contest 2008. When will all the snow
be gone? make
- Update on the snowmobile accident. Dale is
finally home. read
his thank you
- Snowman Cam family members injured in serious snowmobile
- Chat room member, in Spain, receives package
from USA. read story Picture added
- Snowman Cam sells items to benefit wildlife and local animal
- Visitor videos added to Snowman Cam YouTube page. watch
Michigan Public Schools adds SnowmanCam to their website.
- Snowman Cam gets a new logo. Thanks to Richard Guccini
at R & J Printing in Royal Oak and to Penny and Theresa
at New Century Signs in Gaylord, for all your help.
- Snowman Cam added to Lake Orion Community Schools'
- Couple travels 3700 miles from Edinburgh Scotland
to see the Snowman. After flying from Scotland to Detroit, they
drove the almost 500 mile round trip from Detroit to Gaylord and
back in one day. See the picture of Mark
Fryer and Valerie Evans.
- Two new large bird feeders have been added. We are seeing an
increase in the number of birds feeding. There have been a lot
of Redpolls here lately. They spend most of their
time well north of here. (read
about Redpolls) It's usually a sign that much colder weather
is headed our way.
- Snowman receives email from Pine Tree Elementary
second graders. read email
City Record-Eagle newspaper article about the
Snowman Cam. read
- Chat room heroes story airs on Michigan This Morning,
FOX 33 News and 9 & 10 News
in Cadillac Michigan. watch
- While in the Snowman Cam chat room, Julie M.
(Snowzy) and Scott M. (Scott) noticed that Emma
J. (Emma) was having difficulties. Their quick thinking
and a call to 911 may have saved Emma's life. see
- Snowman Cam owners, Ken and Sheryl Borton invited
to judge EarthCam's 25 Most Interesting Webcams for 2007. see